Saturday, June 14, 2008

Goodreads

Amber had me join this website called "Goodreads". I haven't read that many books to know what I really like and what I don't to contribute much to it though. I do however know that I do not like sappy love stories, I think that is why I wasn't into Twilight as much as everyone said I would be. "If you liked Harry Potter, you will love Twilight" they said. Why? A group of us were having a discussion about this and decided that there is no comparison between the two series.
Anyway, since Amber has introduced me into the world of literature, I have found myself in need of a change. Having read the Harry Potter series three times, I need to invest my imagination into a new world. Something inspiring and inventive I think. If anyone has some good suggestions, they are certainly welcome. If my mother is reading this, yes I know I should be reading my scriptures. I have been reading the Ensign, so that is a start.

4 comments:

Cydnee Gee said...

Jodi Picoult writes good books, you could start with "My Sister's Keeper" (I believe that's the title, they're making it into a movie right now), or "Nineteen Minutes", or another one about an unclaimed baby born and abandoned in an Amish community, can't remember the title. I've read about 8 of her books and I've liked them all. good fiction. "Kite Runner" is good, also recently made into a move, but not really uplifting, just eye opening.
good luck!

Jenny said...

I really liked "Fablehaven". There are three out in the series and the fourth one will finish the series. The books are imaginitive and very entertaining. The author is LDS (though they are NOT LDS books - they are general fiction) and the books made it to the New York Times bestseller list. So that says a lot.

My husband also really enjoyed "The Great and Terrible" series by Chris Stewart.

Amber said...

I will agree that Jodi Picoult is an awesome writer. I hsve also been reading Patricia Cornwell, who is a murder mystery writer whose stories are told by the medical examiner. They are a series, and I enjoy them.

Jann said...

I'm on goodreads, too, so feel free to check out what I read. I'll go in and add you as a friend. My reading collection is...random at best. Right now I'm loving "Atonement" by Ian McEwan, and I also recently read "The Year of Fog" by Michelle Richmond and I couldn't put it down. Both are pure fiction and neither one is a romance.